Saturday, July 24, 2010

Cymbals

Cymbals was a 3-piece band involved in the Shibuya-kei movement of the 90's. Members are Asako Toki [vocals] Reiji Okii [guitar/bass] Hiroyasu Ano [drums]



Melt in your mouth melodies and the sweet, intricate arrangements blend together with Asako's soft vocals and the occasional harmonies from Okii for this awesome fashinable pop that never fails to put a smile on my face.
I don't think I'll ever come close to writing music this good, but I have to say if I ever were in a band I'd like to make music in the fashion of this group. Everything is just so perfectly executed and done to the greatest degree possible. You can't really ask for more.

And all this gushing is just for Cymbals, don't even get me on what Toki Asako has done after Cymbals disbanded. Maybe I can write a bit on that later since I've yet to give her latest solo album a listen.

Links and further reading: [JVC Music webpage] [Nippop Profile]

Listening:
Cymbal's PV for "My Brave Face"



~hideki~

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you about Cymbals.

    They are one of the best bands I have heard in decades!

    I used to have a band, and we were trying to make music in a style similar to theirs.
    But Cymbals are world-class.

    They are the kind of band that doesn't really exist any more in America.

    God bless Japan for still making beautiful music like this.

    IMO, anyone who likes Cymbals has great taste in music.

    ReplyDelete